01 Nov Achieve clear skin naturally
Many patients that I see are suffering with skin issues such as acne that range from the occasion- al blemish to chronic cystic acne that can result in scarring. These patients can vary greatly in age but are equally frustrated by the relentless breakouts that occur. Fortunately, there are several very effective ways to treat skin conditions naturally and quickly! Read on to find out what the underlying causes of acne are and what you can do to clear your skin!
Acne is a chronic inflammatory skin condition characterized by skin eruptions on the face, chest, back and shoulders. Acne vulgaris, the least severe form, is a superficial condition that affects the skin’s oil-secreting glands and hair follicles and manifests as blackheads, whiteheads and red- ness. Acne conglobata, a more severe form, is characterized by the formation of pustules and cysts with the potential for subsequent scarring. Both forms are more common among males than females with onset typically at or shortly after puberty but can also occur much later in life as adult acne.
THE UNDERLYING CAUSES OF ACNE CAN VARY IN NATURE BUT SOME OF THE MOST COMMON CAUSES INCLUDE:
- Hormonal shifts during puberty can cause an increase in the level of testosterone which may result in the sebaceous glands enlarging and producing more sebum resulting in acne.
- Poor intestinal health causing excess toxins to be absorbed by the intestines can lead to severe acne.
- Food allergies are the number one cause of acne and the worse the acne, the more likely food allergies are involved. Eating a food to which the body is allergic leads to a continuous toxic reaction. In such a case, the immune system fights the food as if it were an invading toxin. This can cause inflammation in the skin which results in acne. Eliminating the allergenic food completely clears the skin in most cases.
- Poor liver function can cause the skin to attempt to take over the detoxifying aspects of the liver which then causes outbreaks like acne to occur.
- An overgrowth of yeast called Candida can cause an imbalance in the sebum production in the skin leading to acne.
- Hormonal imbalances can occur in males and females in adulthood in the testosterone or estrogen levels which also creates an environment for acne pro- duction.
THE TOP RECOMMENDED TESTS TO UNCOVER THE UNDERLYING CAUSE INCLUDE:
- Food Allergy Testing. This is done through a blood test which tests for a large variety of food and/or environmental allergens often implicated in acne.
- Hormone Panel. This test is done through a combination of blood and saliva to uncover imbalances in certain hormones such Cortisol, DHEA, Estradiol, Progesterone, Testosterone and Thyroid hormones (TSH, T4, T3 and TPO).
- Digestive Function Test. This is done through a stool and saliva test and helps to identify any potential digestive imbalances including Candida and other yeasts, digestive enzymes, pH, parasites, worms, bacterial overgrowth, inflam- mation, immune function and digestive intolerances.
Nutrition plays a critical role in optimal skin! Healing the skin from the inside out with nutrient dense foods that contain antioxidants help to detoxify the body in addition to avoiding foods that increase inflammation.
TOP 10 NUTRITIONAL TIPS TO CLEAN THE SKIN NATURALLY
- Start the day with 1⁄2 lemon squeezed into 1 cup of warm water.
- Consume half your body weight in ounces of filtered water daily.
- Increase fiber consumption to 35 grams per day to assist in the elimination of fat-soluble toxins. Choose high fiber foods such as ground flax seeds, psyllium, apple pectin, rice bran, beet fiber, oat fiber, chia seeds and sun fiber.
- Consume liver cleansing foods such as beets, bitter greens, apples, lemons, garlic, onions, cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale, collards and cauliflower. Eat a daily large raw salad with beets, leafy greens and garlic.
- Use liver cleansing herbs such as Dandelion root, Artichoke, Milk thistle, Burdock Root and Turmeric.
- Detox the liver with Alpha lipoic acid, Calcium D-Glucarate, NAC, Selenium, Choline and Methionine.
- Drink liver detoxifying tea with Dandelion root, Nettle root, Red Clover, Licorice Root, Burdock Root and Cleavers.
- Make a protein shake with vegan protein powder, berries, spirulina, seeds (hemp, chia, flax) and coconut milk for a quick breakfast or snack.
- Take skin clearing vitamins and minerals to heal and nourish the skin such as Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin B6 and Zinc.
- Take Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids in the form of Fish Oils and Evening Primrose oil to clear the skin.
Choosing natural and organic skincare is equally important to healing our skin. Whatever is applied to the skin will also enter the blood stream. Many skin care products contain harmful chemicals that can damage the skin and create an internal environment that disrupts the hormones and healing properties.
Ela Spa Skincare is a perfect choice for any type of skin condition as it is comprised of the highest quality of organic ingredients with medical grade effects on the skin.
Dr Cobi Slater is a Board Certified Doctor of Natural Medicine, Registered Herbal Therapist, Registered Nutritionist and she also holds a PhD in Natural Health Sciences. Dr. Cobi is the founder of Essential Health Natural Wellness Clinic located in Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
Dr Cobi is extremely passionate about helping others heal naturally as well as empowering pa- tients to live a life of optimal health. Dr Cobi is a regular guest on many international radio and TV health shows. She also contributes to numerous publications as a health expert and is the International Best-Selling Author of 5 health books including The Ultimate Candida Guide and Cookbook, The Ultimate Hormone Balancing Guidebook, The Ultimate Metabolic Plan, The Ultimate Gluten and Dairy Free Cookbook and Refresh, Revive, Restore 10-Day Detox.
Dr Cobi has helped thousands of patients regain their health through lifestyle changes resulting in a freedom to enjoy life like never before!